After several close calls through the past few seasons Christchurch driver, Jeremy Webb won the 65th New Zealand Three Quarter Midgetcar title at Nelson Speedway on Saturday evening. It was Webb's national title win and he headed home the 30 lap final ahead of Auckland's Ryan Baker and Peter Hunnibell.

Webb had a busy evening when doubling up for the South Island Midgetcar title to finish third behind Dave Kerr and Tom Lumsden.

Webb topped the fourty plus field in qualifying on the Friday for the TQ title, finishing with 67 points when claiming a win a second and two third placings from his four heats, one point ahead of Baker, with Ryan Barry (Auckland) on 64, from Christchurch's Kyle Glover 62 and Liam McCourbrey 59. 

On Saturday Webb continued his dominance when winning the A Dash - for the top eight points scorers, which determined the grids for the final, from Glover, Baker and Barry. In the final Barry jumped out to an early lead from Webb and Glover. Webb took over the lead on lap 13, with Glover then dropping back down the field with Scott Baker (Auckland), Ryan Baker and Hunnibell making up the top four.

With ten laps remaining Webb lead by 1.3 seconds but the lead closed over the final few laps as the leaders battled lapped traffic, with Ryan Baker and Hunnibell finishing strongly with Webb holding on to take the chequered flag and his first national title by just 0.18 seconds from Baker and Hunnibell.

Webb now joins a select few of father and sons that have won the same national title with Webb's father Dick having won championship twice in the 1990's, one win also coming at Nelson.

In the South Island midgetcar title, which Webb was the defending title holder at was Kerr that lead the way. Kerr took out all three heats from Webb, with a relegation then costing Kerr several places in the final heat. This left Kerr and Webb level on points and starting on the front row for the 20 lap title final.

Kerr lead out early from Webb and Glen Durie but by mid race Webb had dropped back to fourth place, with Tom Lumsden claiming third place. Over the final few laps Durie was passed by both Lumsden and Webb. Kerr went on to take the title for a record eighth time, in eleven years from Lumsden and Webb. Going into the championship Kerr was tied on seven titles with former great Trevor Hall. 

95 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

With the track in tip-top condition, their was no shortage of fast close racing, plenty of passing and a couple of race records being bettered at The Racecourse Hotel & Motorlodge Ruapuna Speedway on